Feb 8, 2017

Our Unspoken Language

Arrival. Image source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/13642396/arrival-ted-chiang-story-of-your-life-film-twist-ending

Last Friday I went to the movies to watch a film called Arrival (directed by Denis Villeneuve). I was trying to unwind (the semester has started and the deadlines are approaching, putting us in a vigilant operation mode). But it happens that, when you love what you do, unwinding moments become moments of inspiration and reflection… for your work.

The film is amazing in every aspect you can imagine. The script is awesome, the acting is real, and

the music makes you get into the film’s mood immediately. The photography is the cherry of the cake, for many reasons.

I’m not going to summarize the film’s plot, because I don’t want to say anything that can ruin your experience with the film. I’m just going to say that the film is about events. We all experience events in our lives that change our perception of time and the value of our values. I could relate with the film for many reasons, but the one I’d like to explore here is the notion of our communication tools becoming channels to a process of rewiring our brains (and therefore, our perception).

I was talking to one of our classmates some days ago about it. I was telling him that, as an immigrant, I’m in the continuing process of trying to think in my new language, English. I explained to him that this process helps me to speak better, since I’m changing the way I formulate my thoughts. English is a much more direct and precise language when compared to Portuguese, my native language. He was kind of amazed about that, because I myself have never thought about changing the way I process information when I was in Brazil. It is a slow, very intense, and sometimes confusing process.

When I was seating in front of the big screen it occurred to me that all the efforts made by the main character, Louise Banks (Amy Adams), to learn a new language that she would never be able to speak were completed redirected to the learning of the language via writing and reading, or the acknowledgment of the language’s symbolic meanings. (From this point on, some spoiler alert is necessary!) The learning of the language through symbols, according to the alien insights, allowed her to perceive the different dimensions of the future. In doing that, her values have changed drastically, and she basically learned to enjoy her moments for what they are; good or bad, happy or sad, all the moments are precious reflections of us and our journeys.

I felt that this has been happening to me since I started the Masters of Architecture. Sometimes you don’t possess the whole vocabulary to convey every little thought that you have when you are explaining a project verbally. I’m not a fool; I know, as I told you before, that it is a slow process. But from this difficulty of expression, I refocused my efforts to another way of expression, which is drawing. I consider that we architects have a secret weapon, an extra way of expression that, with exception of artists, the majority of people don’t have. To me, visual expression via drawings, photographs, and videos are extra ways of communication. Forcing myself to represent meaning through forms, shapes, shadows, and ridiculous hand sketches are my secret language. And I’m just developing it because I’m here now. Because I moved abroad. Because I felt this urge of communicating my ideas verbally and sometimes, I have failed.

So… tracing papers, iPhone pictures, CSCam Scanner, watercolor brushes… You are all my partners in crime.  


No comments :

Post a Comment